A Wee Bio
Hullo & welcome!
I’m Mairi: a peelly wally Weegie and postdoc health researcher.
I’ve been writing The Weegie Kitchen since 2012, which started life as a means of escaping academic life by writing about food and showcasing my greed. Back then I was 5 months into studying for an MSc Health Psychology and as much as I loved it, I craved a more creative outlet for writing. Since then, and particularly during my PhD years, blogging has been essential to maintaining my sanity.
What I write about is the kind of cooking I do every day and is the kind of food I want to eat. I’m inspired by Scottish culture and how our national identity is shaped, in part, by what we eat. I love how Scotland has become a melting pot of cuisine and we’re a nation who aren’t fussy: we’ll embrace the deep dried Mars Bar but we won’t shy away from Loch Fyne oysters either.
Food Info About Me:
Age: Old enough to have been one of those kids who lusted over Soda Streams, but sadly was never allowed one.
Location: Recently defected to Edinburgh (still struggling with the whole salt n sauce malarky) but I’m a Weegie at heart and I still commute for work.
Earliest Food Memory: My 3rd birthday cake. It was a massive sponge cake with soft icing, strawberries, and sprinkles around the sides.
Inspired by: Primarily my Gran, also known as Granny MacDonald. I’ve always loved her cooking and an 8 hour trip to the Isle of Barra for her mashed totties and roast lamb is worth every minute. Most of my early memories of food are the meals my Gran made.
My Last Meal: Cheesy mashed potato made with double cream and hunners of sea salt. I will eat with a spoon, out of a bowl, in front of the telly.
1 True Talent in Life: My roast potatoes. I credit years of studying Nigella Lawson to master these bad boys.
Kitchen stuff I’d save in a fire: A 1940s pink tea set I picked up in the Glasgow Barras Market for £30.
Worst Kitchen Habit: Eating raw pastry. I’ve done it since I was a kid and I still do surreptitiously when I think no one is looking.
- All views are my own and not representative of other parties
- Any products I recommend or refer to are my own preferences and not representative of other parties
- I use all my own pictures. Where I have not I will credit the source.
- If any of your pictures are featured here which you would like removed please contact me & I will be happy to do so immediately
- If I use another person’s recipe (even if I adapt it) I will reference the source and provide a web link where possible
- Any references to ingredients, equipment, books etc are accompanied with a web link where possible